Monday, May 3, 2010

My big plan...the epic part 1

We moved into this house with big plans. The 80's is an era not fondly remembered in terms of fashionable interiors - after all, Mission Brown was de rigeur, as was exposed brick and timber, timber and more timber. But the house was in a great location on two and a half acres, with a creek meandering through, set high on a ridge to capture views and cooling breezes. We jumped at the chance to buy, knowing it needed some renovation and much redecoration.

The kitchen was a bit of a conundrum for me. Although it was not to my taste, it was relatively new and completely functional. We had more urgent things to tackle, like the bathroom. The layout was fine, so it sat on the backburner, and its ugliness kept nagging at me until I couldn't stand it any more.

I wanted this...

source unknown, sorry

and of course this...


But I had this...








special, isn't it?

So I thought hey, hubby's away for three days, I'll surprise him by painting all the timber, covering that ugly brick, and I'll give it a spiffy little makeover. No biggie, right? WRONG!! 

Now, those who know me would say that I'm something of an optimist. Impulsive and completely delusional are probably more appropriate. Three days - no drama, it's just a little tart up, how long could it take? 

So...here I am, picking the paint off every exposed part of my body, but I have to tell you, I'm LOVING IT! The results are, I hope, going to be so worth it, I can't wait to put it all back together and gaze upon its beauty. But the voice of reason (hubs of course) advised that to rush things now would mean a less than perfect outcome, and believe me, there's no way I'm taking the chance after all my blood, sweat, tears and tantrums. So I know you'll understand when I tell you I promise to show you everything as soon as humanly possible.  Until then, it's back to work. See you soon with all the good stuff - can't wait to share it all with you!

24 comments:

  1. Strength to you! Can't wait to see the transformation, that brick is something else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's a great 'before' Kerri. I can't wait to see what you been up to. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerri, I'm feeling your pain. You have the best kichen to paint and I know its going to come up beautiful. You have the perfect timber to paint and I cannot wait to see this transformation. When I did mine I could not believe the difference it makes. Saves you $$$$ not having to install a new kitchen and even more satisfying knowing that you did this. Look forward to the reveal. Sandy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerri! I am looking for before & afters for the blog, so feel free to send me pics if you want :) Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as if you made plenty of progress! Looking forward to see the outcome, painting the cabinets will make the world of difference :)
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kerri. He he, I've been there, "I'll just paint the laundry this weekend while hubby's away". Yeah right, after sanding all the timber, cleaning all the walls, filling holes and cracked plaster, removing fixtures and light fttings, painting brown timber trim and two doors white, running out of supplies and rushing to the store, painting the ceiling and all the walls I still wasn't finished and that's after I called in my Dad for reinforcemetns! At the beginning I actually believed I might have been able to knock it out in one day - can I say delusional!?!
    Looks like you've got a great starting point. I can't wait to see the after.
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  7. that kitchen has the makings of an awesome makeover - can't wait to see it!!jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goooodness. i cant hardly wait to see the finale. i like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kerry,

    I'm a big fan of painting cabinets... I cant wait to see the results of your weekend efforts.

    I had my cabinets painted years ago since they were nice, and the layout functional. Not to mention it was much less expensive to have them painted than replaced.

    I was wondering how the brick could be covered. Have you thought of installing beadboard or panel wainscotting over it? Might be a nice fix...

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I can't wait to see it! I hear that problem a lot. Things are fairly new and nothing is wrong with them, but you hate the decor the builder chose. Life is short. Paint is cheap. (I'm a horrid painter, btw.) And you're going to lighten up that place like nobody's business!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see your 'new' kitchen Kerri, I know it will be gorgeous! The bones of the kitchen are fabulous, so it will look amazing with your magic touch. Enjoy putting it all back together. ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting! I can picture how great it will be and you are just like me and my husband. I always rush into my projects and he tut tuts that I haven't thought it through. It's going to look great, I can picture it already!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. if there is a will there is a way, and the endorphins will come their way! it will be all worth it at the end...can't wait to see the 'after' look. love your comments you left-thank you! verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is so exciting! Like you, I'm a complete optimist...and I'm sure this will be an absolute winner my friend. But I just need to hurry up and wait I know! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kerri, you have been a busy girl. I can't wait to see what the finished product is like. I bet it will be fabulous. I love a good before and after. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. freaky. you have the same kitchen the we had. i could not handle the 'oldness' of it though and demolished the lot and put a nice fancy one in. i will be really really interested to see how yours came out - and how much money we could have saved if i was as energetic as you!! can't wait to see the big transformation (-:

    ReplyDelete
  17. It will look fabulous. I have a friend with a similar kitchen, she painted the cabinets white/cream, covered the bricks with bead board and it now looks sensational
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! I'm feeling your enthusiasm, pain ....on so many levels. Waiting until hubs is away, getting covered in paint, thinking it will be a breeze. Can't wait to see the new kitchen.Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  19. So good work Kerri!!! I can imagine your new kitchen...it will be beautiful!!!

    Hugs!
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just found your blog. I can understand why you want the color changed.I'm the impulsive and delusional kind and what's more impatient! That's why i do things like you do when hubby is away. Can't wait to see the result. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kerri,
    I had a good laugh because I'm exactly the same, determined to the end, even though we may regret what we started the end result will be so worth it, thinking of you and cant wait to see the end result xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh...love what you have in mind for your kitchen!!!
    I can't wait to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh thanks everyone, I really appreciate the encouragement! I knew you guys would be with me in this little adventure. Love it that we're all on the same page! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow that is a lot of wood and brick - I think you are doing the world a favour by painting it. I can't wait to see your big reveal. I love before-and-afters.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails