Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Clayfield - a work in progress

For some time now, I've been working on a very special project. My sister lives in a gorgeous old worker's cottage in the Brisbane suburb of Clayfield, and I've been helping her with its renovation. I absolutely love old Queenslanders, so not only do I get to work with my lovely sister, I also get to play with her very cute house!

We've spent a long time looking for the perfect dining table and chairs, and as space is limited we needed to find something quite petite. Take a look at what we found - a beautiful french bistro table and four bentwood chairs, with lovely pressed seats.



isn't the detail lovely?



the base is cast iron - gorgeous



and we couldn't resist these antique french candle sticks

Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the Queenslander style, take a look at this home, which I posted about here. The front section is a colonial workers' cottage, and is almost identical to the home my sis owns.


Isn't it gorgeous?

Not only are we looking for furniture and accessories, we're also in the process of finishing the installation of her new kitchen (I know, kitchens seem to be top of my renovation list at the moment!)

Today I'm off to source the splashback tiles, which is the last step before the room is complete. I can't wait to share the finished product with you, it's quite the transformation. The house was completely original, and the kitchen consisted of a cupboard, a sink and an ancient sandstone fireplace. We now have a charming and airy space which complements the original cottage beautifully. Of course, when the tiling is complete I'll be sure to post all the pics!


Oh, and do you remember this post about the little pony I found? Well, he now has a new home in a cute little cottage in Clayfield........!

23 comments:

  1. Clayfield is such a gorgeous area, I cant wait to see the cottage! what a great find love the detail on the chairs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri I love it all! The table, the chairs, the candle sticks...the house in Clayfield (I LOVE Clayfield). That's it, I'm coming back to Brisbane to live, to play with you and your sister xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She must live near me...Can I play too!

    I can't wait to see the finished room!

    Best wishes and happy shopping,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that sweet little set! The base of the table reminds me of my sewing machine tables. That one is definitely a keeper!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the chairs and table, I'm drooling all over my laptop :)
    I can't wait to see your sister's cottage when you've finished working your magic. Have a great day Kerri.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Can't wait to see. That dining setting is AMAZING. I love that french farmhouse style and the cast iron base is beautiful. Can I ask where you found it and how much it was?
    What a fun project. I love making-over other peoples homes!
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have seen a more gorgeous set of table and chairs. Big statement. But true. You have fabulous taste. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The detail on those chairs is so interesting! And I'm loving those candlesticks. Sounds like a fun project to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those chairs and table seem to carry a lot of history in them, so is the candle. i would love to see the complete decor...have a great week, Kerri....verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. those queenslander homes look so cute. can't wait to see your photo library of everything. and I do love those chairs and tables. where did you find them again? your sister is one lucky chick!! enjoy your day (-:

    ReplyDelete
  11. the dining set is so fab...love the chairs too!
    stumbled across your site through low tide high style. I'm now following!
    Flory

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so in love with that dining setting Kerri! Can't wait to see your sister's kitchen, hope you found the splashback tiles today! Hope you have a great week ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dining setting. I cant' wait to see more photos of your sister's home. Glad the pony has found his spot in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great find- your sister is very lucky:) I can't wait to see the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your table and chairs. The detail is lovely, and they have such special character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found the Queenslander style recently on HGTV's House Hunter's International {it IS gorgeous}, and I just found YOU via Kat at Low Tide, High Style! And, I'm your #101 follower ~ hooray! I love your art and have a daughter who will be leaving for art school in a few short years who will love it, as well. It will be fun following you from the other side of the globe : ) xx P&H

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooooh, aaaaaah, lovely!!!!
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, im new to your site 7 i have to say you are certainly very clever, I love the changes to your kitchen & what a great find foir your sister, her new table is lovely.
    Cheers Trish

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Kerri,
    What a beautiful house. I ADORE old Australian houses. I really love the table and chairs too. The detail on the seats is scrumptious. Very Art Nouveau...my favourite period. I'm a little envious of those chairs !!!!
    I am really looking forward to seeing your sister's cottage finished and your kitchen....hurry up !!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That table is a great find. I can't wait to see more of your sister's house :) Ask her if she wants a feature on my blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those chairs are a treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. The table and chairs are very special, aren't they? The detail on the chairs is gorgeous, and the table top has a really lovely patina to it. Glad you like them, and when her place is all finished I'll talk her into letting me give you the full tour! K xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails